There’s are approximately 91 days until the NFL season begins, and what better way to prepare for the season than to countdown the top 5 most likely Super Bowl contenders. Everything is taken into consideration when making this list.
5. Starting off our list is “Americas Team” the Dallas Cowboys. After a sensational 13-3 season led by rookie quarterback, Dak Prescott, and rookie half back, Ezekiel Elliot, was cut short by the Green Bay Packers, the Cowboys are looking to bounce back big time and possibly repeat their regular season success.
One problem with the Cowboys is that they are in one of the toughest divisions in the league, the NFC East. Every team in the NFC East has a chance at making the playoffs, but the Cowboys have to show they are the most complete team of the 4. With one of the best offenses in the entire league and a very young and talented defense, the Cowboys have a very legitimate chance to be contenders.
4. Coming in at number 4, the Green Bay Packers. Aaron Rodgers is one of the greatest quarterbacks to ever play the game of football, so it’s no surprise that every single year, the Packers are Super Bowl contenders. Expect another superb season from Rodgers this year.
The Packers lost both Eddie Lacy and James Starks during free agency and seem to be rolling with former wide receiver Ty Montgomery as the leading back. The rest of the Packers offense, including their receivers and offensive line is very good, full of pro-bowl talent.
The Packers have without a doubt a great offense, while the defense on the other hand still has some question marks. They lack true star talent and depth on defense. The secondary is by far the weakest part of the defense. The Packers weak defense will for sure be costly, but that shouldn’t stop them from making a run in the playoffs.
3. Next up, is a team who looks to prove all the doubters wrong, the Oakland Raiders. If Derek Carr hadn’t gotten injured last season, there’s no doubt the Raiders would’ve beaten the Texans and made it past the wild card round. The biggest free agent move this season was Marshawn Lynch returning and signing with the Raiders. If Lynch returns to normal form, there’s no doubt he’ll be a force to be reckoned with. Along with Lynch, pro-bowl quarterback, Derek Carr, also is looking to prove he isn’t a one hit wonder after his terrific season last year.
Carr, Lynch, and receiver Amari Cooper all look to lead their young and talented offense to a division title. Along with a great offense, they also have a very talented defense, led by the best defensive player in the league, Khalil Mack. With rookie cornerback Gareon Conley, David Amerson, Sean Smith, and safety Karl Joseph, quarterbacks are definitely going to have a tough time whenever they match up against this great secondary. Overall, the Raiders have all the tools to be very successful this upcoming season.
2. 28-3. 28-3. 28-3. That is what has been constantly ringing through the fans of our next team, the Atlanta Falcons. After their terrific season last year, Matt Ryan won MVP, and the Falcons had a 28-3 lead over the Patriots in the Super Bowl. But unfortunately, we all know how that ended.
This season, the Falcons are looking to finish the job, and win the Super Bowl. With an offense led by Matt Ryan and Julio Jones (amongst others), the Falcons have a chance to break records and become one of the best offenses of all time. While the secondary still has a few question marks, guys like Vic Beasley, Deion Jones, Desmond Trufant, Dontari Poe, and Keanu Neal are all potential pro bowlers, and that’s good enough to lead them to the promise land.
1. While other teams are all Super Bowl contenders, there’s only 1 team that everybody knows is going to be great, and that is the New England Patriots. The Patriots have the greatest quarterback of all time on their team, Tom Brady, that alone is good enough for a winning season. In the backfield, the Patriots are stacked and every single running back on the roster has a chance to be the starter. At receiver they have Julian Edelman, who they just recently re-signed, Brandin Cooks, and Rob Gronkowski. All 3 of them are top at their position. Along with the 3 of them are Chris Hogan, Malcolm Mitchell, and Dwayne Allen.
The offensive line is solid, led by Marcus Cannon and Nate Solder. The Patriots secondary is also stacked, creating their own version of the Legion of Boom with Malcolm Butler, Stephon Gilmore, Patrick Chung and Devin McCourty. The rest of the defense, such as the defensive line and their linebacker corp isn’t stacked, but is still very good. The Patriots don’t seem to have any holes on their roster, and they seem to be a perfect team, and undoubtedly have the best chance at winning the Super Bowl by a long shot.