The Buffalo Bills held their 4th day of camp yesterday in Rochester. Here’s my notes from yesterday.
- Newly signed FA WR Jeremy Butler made a nice catch off of a poorly thrown ball.
- White returned punts again yesterday. He returned punts back in college as well.
- Tolbert has had a great 4 days of practice so far. I see him as a lock for the #3 RB position.
- Practice has been a lot more physical than in years past; Croom took 1/2 big hits in practice yesterday and took it like a champ. To some people that may be a good thing. To others, not so much. It’s scary because of the injury history Buffalo has had in recent years. Although, it’s getting them into season form
- Both Yates and Peterman have been very inconsistent in camp.
- Schmidt has had two beautiful punts in camp, both had some insane hang time.
- Both Clay and Dareus were on the field yesterday, but not practicing. Clay had an off day. DC Leslie Frazier said not too worry about Dareus, just a precaution.
- Zay made a nice grab yesterday off another poor throw by Nate Peterman
- Tolbert is built like a truck. He just wouldn’t go down, bulldozed Seymour to the turf.
- Holmes continues his sloppy camp with more dropped passes.
- Undrafted rookie Jason Croom looks like more of a WR than a TE. He played both positions in college.
- Darby got limited reps yesterday after injuring his ankle on Friday. Good news there.
- Rookie LB Tanner Vallejo took some first team reps, in for Lorenzo Alexander. Most likely just managing his reps.
- Rookie Zay Jones might’ve outperformed Andre Holmes in camp as of late. The drops are fixable for Holmes, Dez Lewis had his camp defined by drops last summer. I expect him to have them fixed in time for regular season.
- Looks like the coaches love Ramon Humber, and want to see what he can do as the starter. Buffalo also has Preston Brown, Gerald Hodges, and Reggie Ragland who are all capable of starting at the LB positions. All have some experience at Outside Linebacker.
- Is Wood the odd man out on the offensive line? When Ryan Groy filled in for Wood at the end of the season he played phenomenal. If Wood loses the starting job I expect Buffalo to let him go. We save $5M by letting Wood go, and Groy has had a strong camp so far. Could we see rookie OL Jordan Mudge backing up Groy? Or could Buffalo sign someone like Nick Mangold? Also worth noting that Wood is 31 and Groy is 26.
- UDFA BT Sanders has had an outstanding camp so far. He’s looking to take Colt Anderson’s job. Anderson will have a lot of catching up to to once he return from the Physically Unable To Perform list (PUP).